The Indian Institute of Entrepreneurship (IIE) was established in the year 1993 in Guwahati by the erstwhile Ministry of Industry (now the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises), Government of India as an autonomous National Institute to undertake training, research and consultancy activities in small and micro enterprises focusing on entrepreneurship development.
The institute began operating from April 1994 with the North East Council (NEC), Governments of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland and SIDBI as its other stakeholders. It is also An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Organisation.
- To promote and develop entrepreneurship.
- To conduct research and provide consultancy for entrepreneurship development.
- To coordinate and collaborate with other organizations in undertaking training, research and other activities to increase outreach of the institute.
- To provide consultancy and monitoring service to MSMEs/ potential entrepreneurs and enhancing employability of participants.
- To promote greater use of information technology in the activities/ functions of the IIE.
- To comply with statutory responsibility.
- Designing and organising training activities for different target groups and undertaking research in areas relevant to entrepreneurship.
- Improving the efficiency, effectiveness and delivery of change agents and development practitioners i.e. trainers, support organizations engaged in enterprise building. etc.
- Provide consultancy services to prospective and existing entrepreneurs.
- Increasing the outreach of activities of the institute through collaborative activities and increasing their effectiveness through use of different tools of information technology.
The Institute is located at Lalmati, Near Game Village, Basistha Chariali, 37 National Highway Bypass, Guwahati. The campus of the institute is spread over in an area of 3.5 acres with 65,000 sq ft built up area. The institute has a 1 Library and Documentation Centre, 2 seminar halls, 2 hostels with a total of 60 furnished rooms with attached bath, 1 auditorium with seating capacity of 200. There are also incubation centre on Gems and Jewellery, Readymade Garments, Food Processing, Wood work, Beauty and Wellness, Handloom and Electrician in the campus.
The institute also has state offices in seven states - Nagaland, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Manipur, Tripura, and Meghalaya.
The major activities of the Institute include:
- Training: The institute organizes training programmes for different target groups, including Trainers’ Training Programme (TTP), Management Development Programme (MDP), Faculty Development Programme for College and School Teachers, Orientation Programme for Government/Non Government organizations, Entrepreneurship Development Programme (EDP), Entrepreneurship-cum-Skill Development Programme (ESDP) and other sponsored activities.
- Research: The Institute undertakes research and studies either on its own or on sponsored basis and provides consultancy in the field of growth and development of MSMEs across North East India and other states. The Institute also acts as a catalyst and a resource centre for providing various inputs on policy formulation for promoting entrepreneurship and development of MSMEs to Central and State governments. Other areas of focus include Action Research on development of MSMEs, Skill Gap studies, Evaluation studies, industrial potential survey etc .
- Consultancy: It offers advice and consultancy in the various areas of entrepreneurship, including, Enterprise planning; Enterprise Management; Enterprise Expansion, Diversification & Growth; Management Consultancy; Marketing consultancy with specialization on export and border trade; Technology sourcing; Technology propagation; Project and Reports.
- Seminars and Workshops: The Institute organizes Seminars and Workshops to share experiences on implementation of programmes of self-employment and entrepreneurship, on current topics and awareness generation. Besides, the institute organizes Entrepreneurs Meet to understand and appreciate their problems in launching projects and managing them successfully.
- Projects: The institute has also undertaken various projects such as, Centre for Sustainable Livelihood promotion (CSPL); Regional Resource Centre (RRC) for Cluster Development; Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development (STED) Project; and Rural Industries Programme (RIP) ;Pilot Project on Entrepreneurship Promotion and Mentoring of Micro and Small Businesses in temple towns of Puri(Odisha), Bodh Gaya(Bihar) and Kollur(Karnataka) entrepreneurship promotion through capacity building and handholding support for beneficiaries of Jan Shikshan Sansthan & Cluster artisans of north eastern region and Prime Minister Van Dhan Yojana targeting livelihood generation for tribal population through harnessing of forest resources.
“NERES 1.0”, an entrepreneurship summit aimed at offering a platform to promising start-ups and aspiring entrepreneurs across NER. Under the initiative, 20 best business ideas will be promoted with prize money of Rs. 5 Lakhs each.
For more details kindly refer the website http://www.iie.gov.in